Thursday 28 March 2013

Grayson Perry and the frog people

I've neglected this blog horribly over the last five months, as well as my poor lovely sewing machine. I've been experiencing a severe case of sewists block while attempting to plough my way through Liz, another of Burda Style's blouses with almost incomprehensible instructions! (Some major studying might have contributed too, but hey...)

Thanks to some help from the forums, a fair bit of swearing and a long long time, Liz and I are finally done. Excitingly I absolutely love it, even the collar works better than my ill-fated attempt at JJ (perhaps I've actually learnt something?)

Anyway, I spotted this fabric designed by the potter Grayson Perry at Shaukat back last summer, and kept hold of it trying to figure out a plan. Since then I've had a bit of a read of cult-horror writer H.B. Lovecraft's books, and for some reason I can't explain, to me, those faces are those of his infamous frog people from the Shadow Over Innsmouth - I think it's something to do with the headpieces, rather than the faces themselves!

In the end I chose Liz because it looked like a comfy shape, a slight vintage feel to it, and the possibility of using the shape for either work or weekend.

Unfortunately after carrying the buttons with me in my wallet for half a year I lost one, so when I got round to finishing there was the opportunity to look again... As if all the fabric wasn't enough I decided it needed one last finishing touch - a contrast button.

I do feel a bit busty in the finished product, but overall think it looks pretty unusual, and think it'll be really wearable.



What do you guys think? Love or find it unutterably loathsome?

1 comment:

  1. This is lovely, that fabric is so cool too. From a distance it looks like almost paisley from a distance but up close, wow! I'm a bit like you in carrying buttons and such around too. Thought it was only me! And Burdastyle instructions are really lacking so it's not you, it's them.

    Vanessa x

    ReplyDelete