Monday, 27 May 2013

Colette Laurel Number 2

And here's the second Laurel - this time around with the slippiest of materials I've tried so far (I'm not sure what the type is). It's a slight lemony shade, with a grey fish print, picked up from Abakhan's in Mostyn, for a fantastic £2 a metre. Together with the binding I think the top cost me £3 - bargain!

I swapped needles for the first time (having always stuck to what came with my machine), using a ballpoint 70 needle, but still it was a tricky one - anyone got any tips for making the back less.... like this?

Some major learning is needed with rolled hems too, my first attempt was so far from ideal - luckily it looks like there are a million methods on the internet, so fingers crossed for the next time around!

Sunday, 26 May 2013

Colette Laurel Number 1

So here it is, my first Laurel and my first make using Spoonflower fabric! The fabric was bought months ago but I couldn't find the right pattern, finally, along came Laurel, and it was a perfect match!

Spoonflower is a site with millions of fabric designs, where you can choose a pattern designed by someone else, or upload your own, and then get it printed onto material of your choice (or even wallpaper!). This was my first of many purchases from them I think - Dustbunnies, by meduzy, printed onto a cotton voile. The fabric got a little damaged by my not having stored it properly after washing - whoops! But I think it's added to the style, looking a bit more rustic ;)

Laurel is the newest pattern by Colette, and thousands of versions have already been made after a competition - you can find more inspiration here.

While mine's a simple version, I'm still delighted with it... The only question I have is... How old is too old for bunnies on your clothes?????

And while we're at it, some classic tips for storing fabric, from a new book of mine, 'Make do and mend' (Foreword by Jill Norman)

(Laurel number 2 has been made and will be uploaded soon!)

Sunday, 12 May 2013

Upcycled sleepwear

After weeks and weeks without sewing, my fingers were twitching for some stitching. An old duvet cover needed to go after becoming shabby, but it had also become lovely and soft with years of wear - time for my first bit of upcycling fabric!

New Look 6984 got rolled out again to make some sleepwear, just as with the sweetie nightie. It's a very dull cotton this time, so more interesting ribbon was needed.

 I chose a nice grosgrain ribbon, which I hoped might make the nightie look less dull, more rustic...

  A bit of detailing at the waist, and at the back to add marginal bits of interest!

While this is certainly not my favourite project, I did learn a few things... Grosgrain ribbon needs the addition of heat to seal the ends, cutting diagonally isn't enough. In addition, I've realised this pattern isn't for me. Both nighties gape at the back, despite me using the smallest size in the packet - absolutely fine for a nightie, but  I won't be making this as a dress. Think it'll be one to pass on to a fellow stitcher soon :)